Books in the LRC are classified according to the Library of Congress classification scheme. To locate a book in the LRC you can use the (Search LRC Catalogue) and search by author, title or keyword. Alternatively the LRC staff will assist you.
To borrow items you must register with the LRC and have a valid student card. You will be allocated a borrower registration barcode number. Select the items you wish to borrow and ask the LRC staff to record your loans. Students can borrow up to 4 items for one week. Fines are charged if the items are overdue. Rules and Regulations on the use of the LRC are displayed in the LRC. A brief summary is given below:
Rules and Regulations
- Students are charged for overdue items and fines must be paid promptly.
- For standard loan items the overdue charge is 100 baisa per item per day and for overnight and short loans 1 OMR per day.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the LRC. Only bottled water is permitted.
- Mobile phones must be switched off or in silent mode.
- Quiet discussion only is permitted.
- All furniture and equipment must be used with care.
- All damaged and missing items must be paid for.
- Students are responsible for taking care of their personal laptops and they cannot be stored in the LRC.
- Inter Library Loan: The Interlibrary Loan borrowing service allows Sohar University faculty, staff and students to borrow materials from other libraries if items are not available at the SU LRC.
How to book a study room?
The LRC has nine study rooms available for SU students and faculty staff in the first floor.
- You can book a study room for 1-2 hours only by visiting the reference service desk on the ground floor
- The rooms can be used for groups consisting of 3-5 members.
- You have to bring your University ID card for booking.
- The booking will be cancelled if the group didn’t come for the first 20 minutes.
- Please do not leave personal belonging in the rooms. The LRC is not responsible for the loss of personal items.
- Reserve study rooms are only available during the LRC opening hours.
- It is not allowed to eat, drink (expect water) inside the room.
- Groups are not allowed to move chairs outside the room, or add other chairs from neighboring rooms.
- Please don’t throw waste and clean the room before you leave.